It’s Spring—and that means art crawls! From Friday, April 27th, through Sunday, April 29th, hundreds of artists and art dealers will open their studios and galleries throughout St. Paul. Deciding which to visit can be daunting, especially if your time is limited. Here are my top ten artist picks (in no particular order)!
1. Jesikah Orman (Lowertown Lofts Coop 5th Atrium): works in mixed media on wood panel and canvas. In her “Over/Under project,” she uses screenprinting to explore design in textiles, paper, wood, and other materials.
2. Richard Abraham (Northern Warehouse 510): plein-air painter featured in the Minnesota Originals series. The color and brushwork in his landscapes will take your breath away.
3. Derek Davis (Northern Warehouse 417): plein-air painter whose beautiful color harmonies and design will change the way you look at nature.
4. Chris Faust (Northern Warehouse 210): photographs the changing rural and urban landscape. Simple subjects—huge impact.
5. Cheryl LeClair-Sommer (Northern Warehouse 417): pastels and oils in lively color, across a range of subjects, including plein-air landscapes and city scenes.
6. Jeffrey F. Morrison (Northern Warehouse 619): his bio reads: Installation Artist, Multi-Disciplinary, Muralist, Painter, Performance Artist, Sculptor. I would only add: “brilliant.” Connects his art and his social conscience without compromising either.
7. Joshua Cunningham (Grand Hill Gallery, 333 Grand Ave): award-winning plein-air painter captures light, seasons, and moods in every painting.
8. Neil Sherman (Grand Hill Gallery, 333 Grand Ave): Grand Marais plein-air painter who is working on a unique project: painting the 277-mile Superior Hiking Trail. His love of the North Shore permeates every work.
9. Don Biehn (Lowertown Commons Atrium): impressionist paintings in oil and watercolor. Subtle colors, rich textures, marvelous paintings!
10. Chuck Koosmann (ACVR Warehouse 4th floor): he doesn’t photograph “things,” he photographs experiences, essences, attitudes, personalities—get the idea? Remarkable photos.
Visit these galleries and studios during the St. Paul Art Crawl: Friday April 27, 6-10 pm; Saturday April 28, 12-8 pm; Sunday April 29, 12-5 pm)
For information go to: http://stpaulartcrawl.org/