Originally launched as the “After Dinner Players” in 1967, this unique Christian-based theatrical organization has grown to encompass an acting academy, a children’s company and a professional theatre producing five shows annually. The A.D. Players continues to “celebrate the adventure” with recent groundbreaking on an ambitious arts complex that will house a 450 seat Mainstage, a 300 seat children’s theatre, and a 150 seat black box, all under one roof in the upscale Galleria section of downtown Houston.
Committed to quality family appropriate entertainment, the A.D. Players’ tastes are nonetheless sophisticated, with recent mainstage seasons including such titles as The Heiress, The Little Foxes and The Trip to Bountiful. The troupe’s touring productions are divided between a Young Audience and a Faith Based Series, while its children’s shows strike a nice balance between wholesome and hip.
A.D. Players Theater Information
- Other Venues: Children’s Theater, 3471 Westheimer
- Public Transportation: Good for both venues. Mainstage (a 2-minute walk from Metro buses 18 and 78 at Alabama Street/Kirby Drive). Children’s Theater (a 2-minute walk from buses 81 and 82 at Westheimer Road/Buffalo Speedway)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good at both venues
- Performances/Programs: 5 mainstage shows and 4 Children’s Theater shows per season with multiple performances of each
- Ticket Prices: $28–$37, discounts available for students, seniors, and groups of 10 or more; children’s show tickets are $11
- Subscriptions: Silver Spotlight package, three plays, $90; benefits include discounts to special events. Gold Spotlighter package, five plays, $135; benefits include the above, plus free tickets for you and a guest to special events and 15% discount on guest tickets. Subscribers save up to 25%. Other options include Children’s Theater package ($30 for all four shows) and Flex Pass package (six passes for $216).