The Academy of Vocal Arts (AVA) is specifically designed to train young opera singers to become autonomous professionals on the international stage. AVA’s performances include fully staged productions of operas like Donizetti’s L’elisir d’amore, Debussy’s Pelléas et Mélisande, and Offenbach’s Les Contes d’Hoffman, as well as recitals and a sacred music concert.
AVA’s Vocal and Opera Training Program offers its students the opportunity to study free of charge throughout the four-year program, providing Artist Diplomas as an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music. Accomplished faculty and resident artists help facilitate the time-intensive study, which focuses on vocal lessons and coachings, movement and dance, opera performance, voice science and much more. Distinguished alumni include mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato, soprano Ruth Ann Swenson, bass Keith Miller, and bass-baritone James Morris. AVA’s educational programs also extend to the audience, with its Opera Outreach program for middle and high school students. (DK)
Academy of Vocal Arts Information
- Venues: Helen Corning Warden Theater (1920 Spruce Street, Philadelphia); The Perelman Theater at The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts (260 South Broad Street, Philadelphia); Centennial Hall at The Haverford School (450 W. Lancaster Avenue, Haverford); Central Bucks High School South (1100 Folly Road, Warrington); Walter K. Gordon Theater at Rutgers-Camden Center for the Arts (314 Linden Street, Camden, NJ); Proclamation Presbyterian Church (278 S. Bryn Mawr Avenue, Bryn Mawr); First Presbyterian Church (201 S. 21st Street, Philadelphia); and various other venues
- Public Transportation: Varies by venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue, but generally good
- Performances/Programs: 9 productions, some with multiple performances, are presented each year
- Ticket Prices: $35–$50 depending on event and seating selection. Ages 30 and Under ($25); Students ($10)
- Group Discounts: Discounted tickets of $30 available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Tutto Series – Full season ($325–$465); Flex 5 Series ($260–$365); Flex 4 Series ($230–$300). Each subscription includes the New Artists and Farewell recitals
- Membership: Amici ($100–$299); Bravi ($300–$999); Bellissimi ($1,000–$2,499); Angeli ($2,500–$4,999); Bravissimi ($5,000+). Depending on level, benefits include a listing in all program books; tickets to “Sound Bites” pre-opera lecture series; invitations to all Friends of AVA events; free upgrade to Premium Seating to all AVA opera performances; invitations to private special events; a private “mini-concert” in members home by an AVA resident artist; and more.