“World-class theatre, intimate venue” is the motto of Act II Playhouse, founded in 1998. Four mainstage and two special-event productions are staged each season in the company’s 130-seat theater; recent productions have included A.R Gurney’s Sylvia, Yasmina Reza’s Art, Shakespeare’s The Tempest, and the musicals The Story of My Life and John and Jen. Act II develops new plays through readings, forging and maintaining relationships with nationally recognized playwrights, and the presentation of one world premiere or regional premiere production each season. Among the key components of the theater’s education outreach are its internship and high school understudy programs. (MP)
Act II Playhouse Information
- Public Transportation: Good (a short walk from bus 94 at Butler Avenue/Spring Garden Street; and a 3-minute walk from SEPTA trains at the Ambler Station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: 4 mainstage shows per season with multiple performances of each, plus 2-3 special events
- Ticket Prices: Musicals $27–$38 (Students $15), Plays $22–$33 (Students $12) with prices varying by date
- Group Discounts: Groups of 10–19 (10% discount); Groups of 20–29 (15% discount); Groups of 30–49 (20% discount); Groups of 50+ (25% discount)
- Subscriptions: 6-Show $119–$158 (Seniors $114–$152); 4-Show $84–$123 (Seniors $79–$117); 6 FlexPass $163 (Seniors $157); 4 FlexPass $128 (Seniors $123).