Founded in 1934, the Allentown Art Museum has fulfilled its mission – to enrich the lives of the widest possible audience of visitors – for over 75 years. Serving over 100,000 visitors annually, the museum offers more than 17,000 works of art which span nearly 2,000 years of cultural heritage.
In 2010-2011 the Allentown Art Museum underwent a major renovation and expansion, adding approximately 8,000 square feet to the existing size of the museum. This new design includes the creation of several new gallery spaces and an additional classroom, as well as the development of additional storage space for the museum’s permanent collection.
While still largely defined by European paintings as of 1975, the museums set out to develop an American collection parallel to the quality of their European collection — a goal that the museum is well on its way to achieving. Recently enhanced by new collections and gifts, the museum also features a room designed by Frank Lloyd Wright as part of its permanent collection. (KCE)
Allentown Art Museum Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (a 4-minute walk from LANta buses 102, 103, 104, 107, 209, 210, 211, 213, 218, 220, 322, and 323 at the Allentown Transportation Center – Linden Street between 6th & 7th Streets)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Tuesday–Saturday 11 a.m.–5 p.m.; Sunday 12 p.m.–5 p.m. Closed Mondays and most major holidays
- Admission: Adults $12 ; Students/Seniors/Children (6 & over) $10 ; Children (5 & under)/Active Military Personnel/Members are Free. Sunday General Admission is Free
- Tour: Guided tours for children and young adults last 45 minutes to one hour and are theme-based. Gallery explorations last approximately 1-1/2 hours and utilize hands-on, in-gallery activities to engage students with artwork through a selected theme
- Membership: Individual membership is $45 (Student $25; Senior $35; Dual/Grandparent $55; Household $75). Other memberships: Contributor ($125); Sustainer ($225); Patron ($550); Kress Society Associates ($650); Kress ($1,250). Depending on level, benefits include unlimited free admission; a subscription to the quarterly newsletter; event notifications and email updates; invitations to exhibition preview parties; invitations to special exhibitions, private collections, and fine dining; open bar privileges at preview parties and mixers; VIP seating at select events and lectures; and more.