Located a little north of Washington, D.C. in Silver Spring, Maryland, the AFI Silver movie theater complex has three screens that showcase both mainstream flicks and the usual art-house fare. Originally designed by architect John Eberson and opened in 1938, the theater was recently restored and reopened in 2003.
Since the AFI Silver is run by the American Film Institute, it should be no surprise that the theater is committed to excellence in film in terms of both artistic and technical quality. In fact, it’s currently the most technically advanced outlet for motion picture exhibition in all of North America, capable of showing 16, 35, and 70mm vertical, Betacam, Betacam SP/SX, DigiBetacam, HDCAM, DVCAM, MiniDV, D5, DVCPRO, DVD, and VHS, and all in state-of-the-art projectors. The AFI Silver is also the host of the annual Silverdocs documentary festival.
American Film Institute (AFI) Silver Theatre and Cultural Center Information
- Public Transportation: Very Good (a short walk from several buses around the Silver Spring Center and a 5-minute walk from the Metro Red Line at the Silver Spring Station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Mainstream and art-house films, as well as screenings of classic fare
- Ticket Prices: General Admission $11.50; Seniors (65+), Students, and Military $9; Matinees (Mon-Fri before 6 p.m., holidays excluded), AFI Members (2-Star+) and groups of 25 or more $8.50; Children (12 and under) $7
- Membership: Star ($60); 2-Star ($125); 3-Star ($250); 4-Star ($500); 5-Star ($1,000); Patron Circle ($2,500). Depending on level, member benefits include complimentary movie tickets; free annual AFI movie calendar; advance access to AFI special events; discounts on film festival packages; monthly member e-newsletter; complimentary annual subscription to Entertainment Weekly; recognition of support in programs, reports, and other media; invitations to AFI Fest member reception; opportunity to attend AFI Conservatory Showcases; invitations to the annual Cinema’s Legacy event; and more.