(June 9 – October 21, 2012) The American Players Theatre was founded in 1978 by Charles Bright, Randall Duk Kim and Anne Occhiogrosso, a trio of theatrical types on a mission to bring Shakespeare and other theater classics to life in the lush Wisconsin woods. Situated on a former family farm, the APT is one of those rustic seasonal theater marvels, an experience as much about the location as about the production. APT’s main stage is an amphitheater atop a gentle rise called, fittingly, Up the Hill; the eleven-hundred-seat main stage generally hosts five productions in repertory between June and October, chiefly drawn from Shakespeare, Moliere, Chekhov and other playwrights of similar weight and renown. Since 2009, the APT has also had a much smaller indoor theater, the Touchstone, where more recent works are offered.
Not content just to entertain, the APT also wants to educate. The company offers a wide variety of workshops and educational programs, particularly A.C.T. (“Acting for Classical Theatre”) Camp, an intense weeklong immersion in classical techniques for ages 13-17.
American Players Theatre Information
- Venues: Up-the-Hill Theatre and Touchstone Theatre
- Public Transportation: Poor/None
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good. Shuttle buses to each theater are available from the parking lot. The shuttles, however, are not wheelchair accessible, but there is wheelchair access to the theaters. A courtesy wheelchair is also available in both theaters. To arrange for special needs seating and service animal accommodation, please place your ticket order with the Box Office by phone
- Performances/Programs: 8 shows running in repertory from June–October
- Ticket Prices: Range from $40–$65 depending on day, time, and seating choice
- Group Discounts: Discounts available for groups of 20 or more
- Subscriptions: A few options are available. Priority Pricing (If you order your tickets before the season starts you receive 20% off every show ticket and 30% off autumn tickets purchased along with your summer shows.) 4-Packs (Get four tickets at a discounted rate and an official Season Poster. Up-the-Hill 4-Pack is $84 and Touchstone 4-Pack is $109.) APT Insiders (Enjoy special perks when you buy tickets to at least six different plays or if your ticket order – including donations, food and events – is $1,200 or more. Benefits include 20% off all season purchases in both gift shops; free admission to the Bard Talks series and Inside Out tours; and 2 free drinks at concessions).