(Year Round) ‘Tis not London, or even the UK that houses the world’s sole re-creation of Shakespeare’s original indoor theatre, but the town of Staunton in Virginia’s gorgeous Shenandoah Valley, where the Blackfriars Playhouse has emerged as one of the globe’s most important purveyors (and preservers) of the good Bard’s works. Presenting a year-round season of Shakespeare’s plays in the ‘original environment’ in which they were first presented, theatrical productions at the Blackfriars are a totally unique event. Combining the aesthetic conventions of Shakespeare’s time with a modern artistic eye, the works by ASC go beyond mere historical curiosity to become a vital audience experience.
Originally launched as an internationally acclaimed touring theatre, ASC continues that tradition with three productions that play venues throughout the eastern half of the United States each year. With future plans for an expanded ‘Shakespeare Campus,’ including the recreation construction of the Globe Theatre, ASC has, no surprise, become one of the nation’s top rising theatrical destinations.
American Shakespeare Center Information
- Public Transportation: Good (a short walk from bus 250 and the Green Trolley line at Mary Baldwin College; and a 4-minute walk from the Staunton Amtrak station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Almost 200 performances per year
- Ticket Prices: General Admission: Adults $22; Students (14+) and Seniors (65+) $20; Youth (ages 7-13) $16. Reserved Seating: Adults $35; Students (14+) and Seniors (65+) $30; Youth (ages 7-13) $24. $12 Student Rush tickets available 1 hour before curtain
- Group Discounts: Discounted rates are available for groups of 15 or more
- Subscriptions: Pick 6 ($189) gives you 6 tickets; Take 10 ($296) gives you 10 tickets; Annual Pass ($400) gives you 16 tickets. For each package, tickets can be used however you want (individually or in combination). Benefits include a 15-25% discount off additional tickets, depending on level; best seats available; free ticket exchange; and no booking fees.