The American Theatre Company celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2010. Founded in 1970 by a group of former University of Tulsa students, the company immediately set a pattern of offering productions ranging from the latest Off-Broadway fare to classics such as Hamlet.
Originally housed in a former furniture store at First and Main, ATC moved to a variety of locations over the years before being named the official resident theater at Philbrook Art Center. With the opening of the Tulsa Performing Arts Center, the company had a new home; and in 1979 it began presenting shows in a second stage space at the Brook Theater, occupying that venue for eight years before again consolidating its season at TPAC.
American Theatre Company Information
- Public Transportation: Very Good (a 5-minute walk from buses 100, 101, 105, 111, 112, 114, 117, 118, 203, 210, 215, 221, 222, 251, 840, 860, 870, 880, 890, and 901 at the Denver Avenue Station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performance/Programs: Approximately 5–6 productions per season
- Ticket Prices: $24–$30, depending on performance, date, and seating
- Group Discount: 20% discount available to groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Available, and range from $85–$120.