Since opening in 1971, the Annenberg Center has become one of Philadelphia’s major destinations for cultural events and gatherings of all kinds. Based at the University of Pennsylvania, the Center presents innovative programming intended to nurture a public appreciation for and engagement in the arts. Its performance offerings include important theatrical works, numerous music series (in World, Jazz, Dance, New Music and Irish Culture), as well as one of the nation’s most renowned dance series, Dance Celebration.
The Annenberg Center contains three performance venues, the Harold L. Zellerbach Theatre (seats up to 965), Harold Prince Theatre (a black box theatre seating 211), and the 111-seat proscenium-style Bruce Montgomery Theatre, plus numerous rehearsal spaces and areas available for public and private events. Many of the Annenberg Center’s programs include local, national, or world premieres of works in all disciplines. It has also been instrumental in bringing many high-profile national events to Philadelphia, including a week-length run of the Comedy Central’s Colbert Report. A variety of “contextualization” programs and activities offered to visitors include pre-performance social events, lectures, workshops and meet-the-performer events.
The Annenberg’s Student Discovery Series and annual International Children’s Festival provide high-quality performing arts programs to local school children (grades K-12) every year.
Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts – University of Pennsylvania Information
- Public Transportation: Good (accessible by subway, SEPTA train, or a number of public bus routes)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 125 events per season
- Ticket Prices: Vary ($10–$75) depending on event and seating choice
- Subscriptions/Membership: Two subscription options available: Dance Celebration (allows admission to 3 season dance performances) and Signature Series (allows subscriber to create their own series of at least three performances from the entire season). Benefits include seating priority; discounts of up to 30% off ticket prices; discounted parking; discounts for additional tickets and at local restaurants and shops.