Its dramatic name is a perfect reflection of the ambitious mission of Apollo’s Fire, which aims to use baroque music as a way of communicating on an emotional level with listeners, alternately evoking sadness, excitement, reverence, and joy. Under the leadership of founder Jeanette Sorrell, Apollo’s Fire musicians play works by Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, and other composers of their era using only period instruments in order to create an authentic experience. The Apollo’s Fire Baroque Orchestra has brought its passion and mastery of this music to the Aspen Music Festival, the Boston Early Music Festival, the Library of Congress, and other venues across the nation; they have also been heard on National Public Radio and on numerous CD recordings.
Apollo’s Fire (Cleveland Baroque Orchestra) Information
- Venues: The Breen Center (1911 West 30th Street, Cleveland); Gartner Auditorium, CMA (11150 East Boulevard, Cleveland); Severance Hall (11001 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland); Trinity Cathedral (2230 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland); Fairmount Presbyterian Church (2757 Fairmount Boulevard, Cleveland Heights); St. Paul’s Episcopal Church (2747 Fairmount Boulevard, Cleveland Heights); Federated Church (76 Bell Street, Chagrin Falls); United Methodist Church Of Chagrin Falls (20 South Franklin Street, Chagrin Falls); Rocky River Presbyterian (21750 Detroit Road, Rocky River); St. Christopher’s Catholic Church (20141 Detroit Road, Rocky River); Cartwright Auditorium, KSU (450 Hilltop Drive, Kent); Fairlawn Lutheran Church (3415 West Market Street, Fairlawn); Finney Chapel (90 North Professor Street, Oberlin); First Baptist Church (3630 Fairmount Boulevard, Shaker Heights); St. Noel Catholic Church (35200 Chardon Road, Willoughby Hills); Westminster Presbyterian Church (1250 West Exchange Street, Akron)
- Public Transportation: Varies by venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue, but generally good
- Performances/Programs: Several concerts a year, with performances throughout Ohio
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets $20-$65. Discounts available for students, seniors (65+), and Under 30′s
- Subscriptions: 4-concert ($80-$220) and 5-concert ($100-$260) subscriptions available. Students, seniors, and Under 30s are eligible for discounts on subscriptions
- Memberships: Starting at $250 donation, you can become a member of The Ritornello Society. Benefits include invitations to open rehearsals and an annual post-concert reception for donors.