Arden Theatre Company loves to tell a good story and its stories come from many sources. Fairy tales, Sondheim musicals, Irish plays, stage adaptations of everything from Arabian Nights to Crime and Punishment, and August Wilson dramas are the sorts of things you can expect to see on the Arden’s stages. The company has produced numerous world premieres and develops new work with its Independence Foundation New Play Showcase program.
Founded in 1988, the Old City-dwelling Arden is one of history-rich Philadelphia’s younger troupes, yet it has already earned dozens of Barrymore Awards and numerous other accolades and honors for its top-quality productions. For the kids, Arden has theater training camps and workshops where children and teens can take classes taught by theater professionals.
Arden Theatre Company Information
- Public Transportation: Good (a 1-minute walk from SEPTA buses 5 and 48 at Arch Street/North 2nd Street; a 2-minute walk from buses 17, 21, 33, 42, and 48, and the MFL Subway Line at the 2nd Street Station; a 3-minute walk from bus 57 at Arch Street/North 3rd Street; and a 10-minute walk from PATCO Trains at the 8th and Market Station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: 5 mainstage shows and 2 Children’s Theatre shows per season
- Ticket Prices: Mainstage shows $29–$45; Children’s Theatre shows $16–$32. Seniors, full-time students, military, and educators get a $2 discount; discounts for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Mainstage: Five-Show (Regular Run $130–$195; Preview $110–$160); Three-Show (Regular Run $81–$135; Preview $75–$108); small subscription discounts available for students and seniors. Arden Children’s Theatre: Two-Play prices are $40–$50 Adults; $38–$48 Seniors (62+); $32–$40 Teens (13–17); and $26–$30 Kids (12 and under). Benefits include ticket exchanges, parking discounts, and free ticket insurance.