There is rich variety in every Arena Stage season, which has just been expanded to include an incredibly ambitious 10 productions. Golden Age and contemporary musicals, new plays and classics, solo shows and intimate musical revues – everything has a place here.
The Mead Center for American Theater, opened in October 2010, has three stages. The Fichandler Stage is a 683 seat theatre-in-the-round; the Kreeger Theater is a 514 seat fan-shaped space with a modified thrust stage; and The Cradle is a 200 seat oval shaped intimate theater that is designed to both birth and nurture new and developing plays.
Arena’s shows reflect the theater’s dedication to producing American work (a fitting mission for the premier theater of the nation’s capital). Audience-enrichment activities include lively pre-show discussions with Arena artists at the Salon (free for subscribers, $3 for non-subs) and free post-show chats with the cast on selected Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Arena also has a dizzying array of educational initiatives, including the Student Playwrights Project, Camp Arena Stage, the after-school drama program – Voices of Now, a teaching artists-in-residence program for university students, and Moving Stories, a classroom-based program that has Arena Stage artists using creative techniques to bring literature to life.
Arena Stage Information
- Public Transportation: Good (steps from Metro buses 70, A9, A42, A46, A48, and the CIRC at M Street SW/6th Street SW; and a 4-minute walk from buses 71, P1, P2, V7, V8, V9, PRTC, and 903, and the Metro Green Line at the Waterfront-SEU Station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: 8–9 mainstage shows per season plus a few special events throughout the year
- Ticket Prices: $47–$66; Full-time students get 35% off; $20 tickets for Southwest D.C. residents on specially designated Friday-evening performances; $10 tickets for 30-and-under
- Other Discounts: HotTix: Limited numbers of half-price tickets go on sale 90 minutes before curtain. Target Family Fun Pack: four seats, four non-alcoholic drinks, and four snacks for only $100. Discounts for groups of 15 or more
- Subscriptions: Eight-Show $336–$448; Seven-Show $302–$414; Six-Show $266–$350; Four-Show $188–$244, and Three-Show $146–$188. Benefits include Bring a Friend discount coupons, unlimited exchanges, and $100 off a four-week session at Camp Arena Stage.