The Arkansas Arts Center’s collection is highlighted by a substantial number of works on paper, including sheets by the likes of Rembrandt, Rubens, Cezanne, Van Gogh, and Jackson Pollock. The AAC also focuses on collecting contemporary objects in craft media (e.g. ceramics, jewelry, studio glass, etc.). For the budding artist, there are Museum School classes, and both serious art students and enthusiasts alike can learn from the Center’s many lectures, discussions, and workshops.
The AAC is also home to the Children’s Theatre, Arkansas’s only professional company dedicated to presenting stage shows for kids. Both modern and classic children’s stories spring to life in the Children’s Theatre’s productions, which are presented in 6-show seasons. The Center also has a museum shop and a restaurant called Best Impressions.
Arkansas Arts Center Information
- Public Transportation: Good (a 1-minute walk from bus 20 at 9th Street/Commerce Street, and bus 6 at 11th Street/Commerce Street; and a 5-minute walk from buses 2, 16, and 19 at 9th Street/South Scott Street
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Tuesday–Saturday 10 a.m.–5 p.m.; Sunday 11 a.m.–5 p.m.; Closed Mondays and major holidays
- Admission: Admission is free, though there may be charges for special exhibitions. For the Children’s Theatre, ticket prices are $14 for adults, $11 for children, and $10 for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: 6-Play – $60; 4-Play – $41; 3-Play – $32; Family Pack (four tickets to each of the six Main Stage plays, including the holiday production) – $200; Flex Pack (36 tickets) – $285; Mini Flex Pack (18 tickets) – $160. Subscriber benefits include easy ticket exchanges, an invitation to the Artistic Director’s Holiday Open House, discounts on single tickets, and an invitation to the season preview party
- Memberships: Individual ($55; Student/Teacher $30); Dual ($65); Household ($80); Advocate ($100); Contributing ($150); Associate ($300); Supporting ($600); Museum Circle ($1,000); Curators’ Circle ($2,500); Director’s Circle ($5,000); President’s Circle ($10,000); Chairman’s Circle ($20,000). Member benefits include free tickets to special exhibitions, free admission to members-only exhibition preview parties, discounts on special exhibition tickets, invitations to special events, 20% discount on Children’s Theatre tickets, a 15% discount on Museum School tuition, and a 10% discount at the Museum Shop.