This non-profit contemporary arts center was created in 1987 on the site of the former Trolley Car Barn and Power Station in Stone Mountain Village. (The “ART” in the venue’s name comes from a 1913 photograph of a trolley car in front of the building with the words “Atlanta Rapid Transit” written on the side of the car.) At a cost of $2.5 million, the space was completely reconstructed to house a small theatre, five art galleries, a gift shop, rehearsal, dance and music studios, a ceramics studio, box-office, production and administrative space.
The representative 2009-2010 season of the professional AEA theatre company in residence at ART Station included Dead Certain, a mystery thriller by Marcus Lloyd; Judgment, adapted for the stage by Betty Cooper Hirt from the short story by Ferrol Sams; and Are We There Yet?, a “family survival guide” musical by James Hindman, Ray Roderick, Cheryl Stern, and John Glaudini. Among the center’s education, training and outreach programs are a summer arts camp for youth, performance companies for youth and teens, a children’s theatre series, and a storytelling festival that annually draws more than 10,000 attendees. ART Station has received the Abby Award for Excellence in Arts Education from the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce and has earned several other honors and awards for its various endeavors.
ART Station Information
- Public Transportation: Good (a 2-minute walk from MARTA bus 121 at Main Street/West Mountain Street)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: The theater company performs Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. (there are also occasional Wednesday performances at 8 p.m.). In addition to its performances, Art Station also maintains five art galleries, an arts-education program, rehearsal space, and dance and music studios
- Ticket Prices: $26; students and seniors $20. Preview tickets are $16. Additional discounts are available on the company website or by signing up for the Art Station newsletter
- Subscriptions: 5-show ($105 Adult; $85 Senior/Student); 4-show ($88 Adult; $72 Senior/Student); 3-show ($66 Adult, $54 Senior/Student). Subscribers receive one free ticket exchange
- Membership: Artist ($25); Friend (Individual $30; Family/Partner $35; Student/Senior $25); Sustainer ($50); Supporter ($100); Donor ($500); Sponsor ($1,000); Patron ($2,500); Benefactor ($5,000+). Member benefits include complimentary beverages at theatre productions; discounts on individual tickets, classes, and ARTs Camp; advance tickets to A Tour of Southern Ghosts storytelling festival; invitations to gallery openings; and a 20% discount on Gift Shop purchases and art framing services.