From June to October, in two theaters at the Florida State University Center for the Performing Arts, dozens of actors gather to perform a high wire act known as “rotating rep”. Nine plays throughout the season – a different show nearly every night of the week – performed by the same group of actors. This is the Asolo Repertory Theatre and, don’t worry, they’ve been at it for decades, so they know what they’re doing. Each year, Asolo Rep also mentors 12 students specially selected for FSU School of Theatre’s MFA Acting program. The Conservatory students feature in their own separate four-show season of professional productions, performed in the 161-seat Cook Theatre as well as the Historic Asolo Theater, the handsome jewel-box theater where Asolo first began in 1960. Asolo Rep’s current mainstage is the 500-seat Mertz Theatre, which was originally built as an opera house in Scotland over one hundred years ago.
Asolo Repertory Theatre Information
- Venues: The Mertz Theater and the Cook Theater, both located inside the Center for the Performing Arts, and the Asolo Theater located in the Ringling Museum of Art’s Visitor’s Pavilion just steps from the Center for the Performing Arts
- Public Transportation: Good (a short walk from bus 99 at the Ringling Museum stop)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good at all venues
- Performance/Programs: Approximately 10–15 shows per season with multiple performances of each, plus several special events/readings
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are around $18–$56, $5–$10 Student Rush for full-time students, Day of Show Rush $8–$10, half-price tickets for 12 years or younger accompanied by regular-price paying adult, 2-for-1 tickets at the box office on day of show, or 20% discount on advance tickets for AAA members (must purchase at box office), $99 Play Pass: unlimited last-minute seating at the Mertz, discounts for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: 6-PlaySubscriptions ($132–$354), Flex Passport: 4-Ticket ($256), 6-Ticket ($378); 6-Play Preview Package ($114–$210); 4-Play Asolo Conservatory subscription ($100), Asolo Conservatory Flex ($104); Full-time students can get a $25 Student Pass to see unlimited shows at the Mertz. Subscriber benefits include unlimited free ticket exchanges and lost ticket insurance.