The seeds of aTrek Dance Collective were planted in 1988 when dancers Angela Culbertson and Terry Pexton began working together. Ms. Culbertson expanded and nurtured the company until 2003, when it became a collaboration of dancers, backed by local community leaders who function as its board of directors. The company’s mission is to develop local contemporary dance programs and community awareness with performances and training opportunities. Through Master Classes, workshops, and residencies, dance hopefuls as well as professional aspirants have the opportunity to study with local and guest artists. Performances of work created by local and nationally known choreographers provides St. Louis residents with an expanded vision of what is going on in contemporary dance today.
aTrek’s newest project, LeverEdge, got underway in 2012. Designed to nurture the next generation of dancers and choreographers, the program provides intensive and inspirational study for evolving artistic precision and creativity.
The company presents its IMPULSE Dance Festival each July as a two week dance intensive for young professional dancers, adults, and college students. Here dancers immerse themselves in workshops given by guest artists, as well as performances and lectures that encourage an expanded knowledge base for dance. The collective also offers unique children’s programs in conjunction with local schools. Moving Through Math and Moving With Science are short performances created to educate and entertain kids through combining movement with basic math and science concepts. (MK)
aTrek Dance Collective Information
- Public Transportation: Varies by venues
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue, but generally good
- Performances/Programs: Several performances and student showcases presented throughout the year
- Ticket Prices: Varies widely depending on event, venue, and seating selection
- Membership: Donations of any amount are greatly appreciated
- IMPULSE Dance Festival: IMPULSE at Southern Illinois Uniersity, Edwardsville ($600 full two weeks @ SIUE; $350 per week @ SIUE; $15 Drop-in rate for individual classes). IMPULSE at the Dance Co-Op, St. Louis ($250 full two weeks @ Dance Co-Op; $60 per week, technique class @ Dance Co-Op; $15 Drop-in rate for individual classes). Teaching Methods Workshop ($45 Lecture plus both technique classes; $40 Lecture plus 1 technique class; $30 for Lecture only; $15 Drop-in rate for individual classes). Additional price options available upon request.