Though relatively new to the Austin theater scene – it was founded and chartered in August 2000 – the Austin Playhouse has a local theater pedigree stretching back more than 25 years, to the days when Artistic Director/Producer Don Toner was working at the Live Oak Theatre. In barely more than a decade, the Playhouse has become one of the high points on Austin’s artistic landscape. The theater currently stages five plays a season, although scheduling is somewhat in flux at the moment owing to the company’s imminent move into new and roomier digs at the Mueller Airport Redevelopment (the 2011-12 season was staged in a giant tent next to the construction site). The new building is scheduled to open in Fall 2012; the Playhouse intends to break the new place in with Man of La Mancha. (JM)
Austin Playhouse Information
- Public Transportation: Fair (a 6-minute walk from bus 17 at Aldrich Street/Mueller Boulevard)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performance/Programs: 6 shows per season. Performance schedule is Thursday-Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $24-$28, senior and student discounts, group rates available
- Subscriptions: 5-Play, $113-126. Subscription discounts for students and seniors available.