As a presenter of predominantly free public performances, the Bach Concert Series represents a generous labor of love to the Baltimore Community. The Bach Concert Series Chorale–along with professional orchestral musicians and seasoned soloists specializing in the Baroque period–performs the first Sunday of every month from October through June of each year. And like the music of J.S. Bach, there is a distinct method to the madness. Programs are typically predicated on one of the master’s many cantatas, which are complemented by a virtuosic organ work.
Featured in Baltimore Magazine’s “Best of Baltimore 2009,” the Bach Concert Series’ 2010-2011 Season featured two ticketed performances of full-scale choral masterpieces–the brilliant Mass in B Minor and the Ascension Oratorio, respectively. Opportunities to take in works of art like these are way too few.
Bach Concert Series Information
- Public Transportation: Good (steps from bus 1 at Charles Street/Hill Street, and a 1-minute walk from bus 64 at Charles Street/Lee Street)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 9 per season
- Ticket Prices: Most concerts are free. The shows that are not free range from $20–$30
- Donations: Donations of any amount are accepted. Donor levels are Musician $1–$124; Choir $125–$249; Organist $250–$499; Cantor $500–$999; and Kapellmeister $1000+.