Since 1968, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church has presented the Bach Vespers series as a means to performing the illustrious Baroque composer’s cantatas and other sacred works in the context of worship—the context in which Bach initially presented them. Under the musical direction of Cantor Rick Erickson, the twice Grammy-nominated Bach Choir collaborates with a cadre of accomplished soloists and the Bach Players, who have performed on Baroque period instruments since 1994.
Concerts—which often feature the works of Baroque contemporaries such as Schütz and Telemann—are given each Sunday evening and the fourth Monday of every month during the season. Certain performances are preceded by Pre-Vespers Talks at 3:45 p.m. (Complete cantata texts and line-by-line English translation are available on the Bach Vespers website.)
Bach Vespers at Holy Trinity Information
- Public Transportation: Very Good (easily accessible by subway line 1 at 66th Street/Lincoln Center; the A, B, C, and D at 59th Street/Columbus Circle; and buses M5, M7, M10, M11, M20, M66, M72, and M104)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Poor
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 25 per season
- Ticket Prices: $10/$15 at door for Fourth Monday concerts and others are free
- Membership: Memberships range from $1 to $5,000+. Those whose donate $100 or more will be listed in the Vespers’ program.