One of the largest classical ballet academies in the country, Ballet Austin performs ballets from a wide variety of choreographers, including their own international award winning artistic director, Stephen Mills. It has been offering its production of The Nutcracker, during the month of December, for more than 45 years. But much of their work is quite modern: You might see ballet performed to the music of David Byrne, Twyla Tharp, or the Squirrel Nut Zippers, for example.
Ballet Austin Information
- Other Venues: AustinVentures Studio Theater, 501 West 3rd Street
- Public Transportation: Good (a short walk from buses 5, 110, and 484 at South 1st Street/Riverside Drive, and bus 30 at Barton Springs Road/Bouldin Avenue)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good at both venues
- Performance/Programs: Four programs each year, plus the annual Nutcracker. Each program generally runs for three days. The Nutcracker runs for 3 weeks in December
- Ticket Prices: Tickets generally range between $20 and $75. Students and Seniors receive a 10% discount off individual tickets. Students may also take advantage of Student Rush which allows any student with a valid college ID to purchase 2 tickets to any show up to 1 hour before curtain time for $10 each
- Group Discounts: Groups of 20 or more receive a %20 discount
- Subscriptions: Available for 5 shows, 4 shows, or 3 shows in the Family and Kids Series. A Dance Card is also available, allowing more flexibility in choice of shows and number of tickets. Subscriber Benefits include a 3-payment plan when using a credit card, flexible ticket exchange options, priority consideration when upgrading seats, and invitations to special events. There is also a 10% discount available to members on any additional tickets purchased from the Ballet Austin Box Office
- Memberships: The basic donor fee is any amount up to $99 and includes a subscription to Ballet Austin’s online newsletter and recognition in the Season Finale program. There are two membership opportunities offered by Ballet Austin for young people. Children ages 11-15 may become a member of Crew Call with a donation of $200 or more. Members are listed as contributors in season programs and take part in hands-on behind-the- scenes events. Children ages 10 and under may become members of Petite Partners with a donation of $100 or more. Members receive autograph and photo opportunities with company dancers as well as invitations to parties after selected performances.