Gorgeous production values and a grandiose theatrical spirit characterize Central Virginia’s leading professional company, the Barksdale Theatre. Originally founded as a charming makeshift dinner theatre in 1953, the company “grew up” in the ’60s and ’70s, producing important area premieres by such luminaries as Tennessee Williams and Lorraine Hansberry. Now operating two full seasons at three distinct venues, Barksdale’s current tastes range from traditional musical theatre (The Sound of Music) to challenging contemporary dramas and comedies (The Little Dog Laughed, Shipwrecked!) and intimate favorites (On Golden Pond, Driving Miss Daisy).
Strongly committed to local community efforts, Barkdale is celebrated for its connection to local education, through its close relationship with Richmond’s professional children’s company, Theatre IV, as well as through sponsorship of Poetry Out Loud and the Barksdale Theatre Workshop, an initiative to make theatre vital for local high school students. For theatre lovers aged 55 and older, the troupe’s Bifocals Theatre Project has become equally popular.
Barksdale Theatre Information
- Other Venues: Hanover Tavern (13181 Hanover Courthouse Road, Hanover); Theatre IV (114 West Broad Street, Richmond)
- Public Transportation: Good for The Shops at Willow Lawn (a short walk from buses 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, and 19 at West Broad Street/North Jefferson Street) and Theatre IV (a short walk from buses 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 10, 11, 19, and 22 at West Broad Street/North Adams Street). Poor for Hanover Tavern
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good at all venues
- Performance/Programs: Approximately 5 shows per season. Performance schedule is Wednesday through Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $19-$44. Discount tickets available for seniors. $20 Last Minute Rush Tickets are sold to anyone 20-90 minutes before curtain. $10 U-Tkts available to college students. Sign up for eNewsletter to get special offers
- Group Discounts: Discounts available for groups of 15 or more
- Subscriptions: Subscriptions are $100–$144. $32 Flex tickets also available. Subscriber benefits include ticket exchanges.