The Berkeley Repertory Theatre is San Francisco’s premier spot for dynamic, innovative, and unusual theater by multidisciplinary artists, theater newcomers, and veteran risk-takers (we would name them, but you probably haven’t heard of most of them, which is sort of the point). That’s not to say that Berkeley Rep doesn’t produce work by more well-known writers. There have been productions of new plays by Tony Kushner, Terrence McNally, and Mary Zimmerman, revivals of classic dramas, imaginative stage adaptations of both classic and modern literature, and world premieres by Danny Hoch and Sarah Ruhl. Sarah Jones’s tour-de-force Bridge & Tunnel and Stew and Heidi Rodewald’s rock musical Passing Strange, both of which went on to Broadway, began here.
Berkeley Rep has a “green policy,” meaning that the company is striving for energy efficiency and waste reduction in every facet of its operation. Patrons will find that trash cans for recyclable materials are provided in the restrooms and they’re strongly encouraged to come to the theater via public transportation (there’s a very convenient BART stop nearby). If you must drive, though, there’s inexpensive parking across the street.
The theater also offers such free events as Teen Nights, a treat for teenagers who not only get discounted tickets to the show that night, but also enjoy dinner and a discussion with Berkeley Rep artists. The 30-Below program is a favorite of cash-strapped theater lovers under 30, who qualify for half-price tickets to most performances. What’s more, under-30s who attend designated performances also get free admission to the 30-Below post-show party with live music and free food and drinks.
Berkeley Repertory Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Very good (one block from downtown Berkeley BART station; also AC Transit buses)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $27–$71, Rush tickets for students and seniors $10, half-price tickets for anyone under 30 for most shows. Join the CYBERrush email list to receive half-price discount offers. Other discounts for are available for: members ($5 off); Cal Rep Sports and California Alumni Association members; and groups of 10 or more. No exchanges for non-subscribers
- Subscriptions: $25–$65 per play, subscription discounts available for educators, seniors, and students.