BDT was founded in 1998 in Rochester, NY as “Inside Out.” Reincarnated in 2004 as Brazz Dance Theater, the troupe is now firmly ensconced in Miami, presenting work flavored with Afro-Brazilian and contemporary dance styles. Founder and Artistic Director Augusto Soledade, a native of Bahia, Brazil, brings his choreographic vision to a company dedicated to expanding the language of dance. Through concerts, workshops, and classes, BDT extends itself to the community, providing performances as well as training for dancers at all levels.
Soledad’s latest evening-length work, Cordel, is a perfect example of how the choreographer weds seemingly disparate styles to realize his internal aesthetic. With the language of hip-hop and tango as a starting point, he uses the movement as a way to elucidate phrasing and corporal connection. In his Dreaming Amazonia, Soledade takes the Brazilian rainforest as the subject, depicting an indigenous community living in a natural environment that is rapidly being depleted. His commentary on the natural world and its relationship to an urban landscape speaks of the huge changes we are experiencing as these two dimensions come into conflict.
Soledade has won many grants over the years, including the 2008 Guggenheim Fellowship in Choreography. Using his company as his palette, Soledade follows the organic relationships between ideas and occurrences, our human condition, and the connection we have to our changing world. (MK)
Brazz Dance Theater Information
- Public Transportation: Varies by venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue, but generally good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule varies. The company presents several programs in residency and on tour. Through Asiwaju (ah-see-wa-joo), Brazz Dance Theater’s educational program, the company offers concerts, classes, and workshops for children and adults in schools, colleges and universities, dance studios, and community centers
- Ticket Prices: Ticket prices vary widely depending on program and venue
- Membership: Donations of any amount are greatly appreciated.