Part of the nationally recognized Nederlander Producing Company of America, Broadway/San Diego made its debut as the San Diego Playgoers in 1976. For several years, that company presented shows at the Fox Theatre (now Copley Symphony Hall) and the Spreckels Theatre before establishing a permanent home at the San Diego Civic Theatre in 1986, with occasional presentations at the other venues.
In 2001, the company celebrated 25 years of presenting the Best of Broadway and officially became Broadway/San Diego. Over the decades, Broadway/San Diego has presented more than 300 shows and events, including such blockbusters as The Phantom Of The Opera, The Producers (West Coast Premiere), The Lion King, and Wicked.
Broadway San Diego Information
- Other Venue: Balboa Theatre, 868 Fourth Avenue
- Public Transportation: Excellent for both. Civic Theatre (steps from the Blue and Orange Lines at the Civic Center Station; a 2-minute walk from buses 3 and 120 at B Street/4th Avenue; buses 11, 30, 50, and 150 at C Street/1st Avenue; and from buses 2, 7, 15, 210, 810, 820, 850, 860, 901, 923, and 992 at Broadway/3rd Avenue). Balboa Theatre (a short walk from buses 2, 3, 7, 11, 15, 30, 50, 120, 150, 210, 810, 820, 850, 860, 901, 923, and 992 at Broadway/4th Avenue; and a 5-minute walk from the Blue and Orange Lines at the Civic Center Station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for both
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 100 events annually
- Ticket Prices: $27–$89 depending on event, venue, and seating
- Subscriptions/Membership: Season ticket packages range from $98–$540, depending on seating and event dates. Special prices ($221–$343) available for students and seniors, with limited dates and seating options. Packages include admission to six season productions, with option to add additional shows at an extra cost.