(June 1-12, 2012) In 1983, the Burlington Discover Jazz Festival gave a voice to the burgeoning jazz community that had begun to take root in the picturesque town. Today, more than a quarter-century later, the festival has a long roster of artists who have graced its stage. Past headliners include Bela Fleck, Dave Brubeck, Ella Fitzgerald, Madeleine Peyroux and Ornette Coleman.
Over 10 days in June, the festival includes waterfront concerts, intimate jam sessions, master classes, workshops and a number of street parties featuring local and national acts. One of the centerpieces of the festival, in true Vermont fashion, is the Jazz on the Marketplace series, featuring scores of school, local and regional bands along Church Street Marketplace. And the educational programs that take place in conjunction with the festival are not to be missed.
- Public Transportation: Excellent (all venues easily accessible by several CCTA buses. The festival venues are all within a 15-minute walking radius)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue, but generally good
- Performances/Programs: More than 200 concerts at multiple venues featuring over 30 artists/groups
- Ticket Prices: Many events are free. Ticketed events vary ($12-$78) depending on event and seating
- Membership/Donor Levels: Aficionado ($25–$99); Messenger ($100–$249); Master ($250–$499); Bandleader ($500–$999); and Composer ($1000+). Member/Donor benefits are tiered with every level receiving recognition in the Festival Program Guide; email alerts on programming and Festival updates; and a Burlington Discover Jazz Festival sticker
- Other Benefits: At the Messenger level ($100–$249) members receive an invitation to the Opening Reception. At the Composer level ($1000+) members receive 2 VIP passes to the Waterfront Park Tent (including admission tickets); and invitations to special events like pre-performance receptions.