The official performing arts presenter and promoter of UC Berkeley, Cal Performances manages seven venues on or near campus, presenting dance, theater and music, as well as educational and community programs to enrich local appreciation for the arts. Cal Performances has featured some of the most renowned artists in a multitude of disciplines, also playing a large role in bringing many major touring arts companies from abroad. Student Musical Activities, a division of Cal Performances, manages all of the University’s musical ensembles, which perform regularly at the organization’s venues.
Cal Performances traces its origins to 1906, when actress Sarah Bernhardt performed at the William Randolph Hearst Greek Theater, in efforts to boost morale after the great earthquake and fire of that year. In the century since, it has grown to be the largest multi-discipline arts promoter in Northern California, and one of the largest of its kind in the United States.
Cal Performances Information
- Venues: The Zellerbach Hall, Zellerbach Playhouse, Hearst Greek Theatre, Hertz Hall, and Wheeler Auditorium, all located on the University of California-Berkeley campus, 101 Zellerbach Hall #4800, Berkeley, and the First Congregational Church located 1 block away at 2345 Channing Way, Berkeley
- Public Transportation: Very good (easily accessible by several AC Transit, Bear Transit, and Bay Area Transport buses in and around the UC-Berkeley Campus; also accessible by BART at the Downtown Berkeley Station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Programming includes theater, dance, opera, classical music, jazz, recitals, world music, family shows, and a discussion/lecture series
- Ticket Prices: Vary based on program. Children under 16 get tickets for 50% off for selected matinées. A $5 discount for students, seniors, and UC Berkeley faculty and staff is offered. UC Berkeley students receive a 50% discount on tickets; $20 Rush tickets are available one hour before show for select performances ($10 for UCB students, $15 for seniors and UCB faculty/staff). Ticket exchanges are $5 for single-ticket buyers
- Group Discounts: Discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Numerous subscription series choices, including a choose your own option, are offered. Benefits include free ticket exchanges.