California Ballet has a history of recreating full-length classics. These have included Coppelia, Giselle, Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake, among many others that make up the bulk of their regular repertoire. Often, however, their productions are organized thematically rather than around one particular ballet. Drawing from their established collection of classic stories, they may perform selections from various works loosely tied together through a common theme such as Ballet Bites: Taste of Transylvania. Their seasons, running from October to May, also generally include a holiday Nutcracker and one production devoted entirely to presenting new works by local choreographers.
California Ballet Information
- Other Venues: Civic Theatre, 1100 Third Ave (at 3rd and B)
- Public Transportation: Excellent for both. Balboa Theatre (a short walk from buses 2, 3, 7, 11, 15, 30, 50, 120, 150, 210, 810, 820, 850, 860, 901, 923, and 992 at Broadway/4th Avenue; and a 5-minute walk from the Blue and Orange Lines at the Civic Center Station). Civic Theatre (steps from the Blue and Orange Lines at the Civic Center Station; a 2-minute walk from buses 3 and 120 at B Street/4th Avenue; buses 11, 30, 50, and 150 at C Street/1st Avenue; and from buses 2, 7, 15, 210, 810, 820, 850, 860, 901, 923, and 992 at Broadway/3rd Avenue)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Four different programs per year with two–four performances each
- Ticket Prices: $25–$80. Tickets for children 12 and under are $25. Discounts are available to students for selected performances directly through the performance venues. California Ballet’s Scout Ticketing Program offers discounts for selected performances to Scout troops
- Group Discounts: For groups of 15 or more, individual tickets are discounted 25%
- Subscriptions: A subscription includes all four shows. The Gold Rope series includes special premium seating for all four shows. Subscribers save up to 25% off individual ticket prices (excluding Gold Rope)
- Membership: Membership is available at any financial level, starting as low as $1. Members receive advance notice of performances, special discounts on tickets, a regular newsletter on dance, invitations to special functions, backstage tours, invitations to rehearsal, and, on occasion, complimentary tickets.