The Center Theatre Group runs two of L.A.’s most distinguished theaters, the Ahmanson Theatre (often home to shows both going to and coming from Broadway) and the Mark Taper Forum (Angels in America and Children of a Lesser God started here), as well as a third that’s gaining in reputation, the Kirk Douglas Theatre. The former are both located at the Music Center right in Los Angeles, and the 317-seat Kirk Douglas, which opened in 2002, is in Culver City.
CTG programs strong seasons for all three of its theaters, with the larger shows going into the mammoth Ahmanson, the midsize going into the more modest Mark Taper, and the off-beat and intimate settling into the Kirk Douglas. Each theater sells its own season subscription, but CTG also allows you to mix and match by creating your own custom subscription. Another option for people looking for flexibility is the $100 annual Passport membership, which entitles you to most of the regular subscriber benefits. Passport members can get up to two tickets at a 50% discount for each show at the three theaters.
Center Theatre Group Information
- Venues: The Mark Taper Forum & Ahmanson Theatre at the Music Center, 135 N. Grand Ave; the Kirk Douglas Theatre, 9820 Washington Blvd., Culver City
- Public Transportation: Good for both venues. Mark Taper Forum & Ahmanson Theatre (easily accessible by the Red and Purple lines at the Civic Center Station, as well as several buses and the Silver Line). Kirk Douglas Theatre (within a 3-minute walk from Culver City Bus 1 at Washington Blvd./Duquesne Avenue; Culver City Buses 5 and 7 at Culver Blvd./Duquesne Avenue; and Metro buses 33 and 733 at Venice Blvd./Hughes Avenue)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $30–$100; discounts available for groups of 10–20 or more (varies per show)
- Subscriptions: Four-Show Ahmanson subscription $99–$420, Five-Show Kirk Douglas subscription $112–$260; discounted student subscriptions available. Benefits include money-back guarantee, free ticket exchange/replacement, and free parking.