(July 15 – August 12, 2012) Having been in existence for more than 65 years, this distinctive conference at Vermont’s Bennington College is focused on the development of amateur chamber musicians. The conference prides itself on its ability to be customized to best suit the musical needs of the individual participants. While numerous coachings and informal playing opportunities are made available to the musicians — including the Composers’ Forum, which pairs a chamber ensemble with a composer and his or her new commission — all concerts and seminars are free to the public. A winner of multiple ASCAP Adventurous Programming Awards, the concert series frequently juxtaposes new works with compositions by Mozart and other chamber music stalwarts. Conference fees are required from successful applicants. (DK)
Chamber Music Conference & Composers’ Forum of the East Information
- Venues: The Greenwall Auditorium (Concert Series) and the Carriage Barn (Seminar Series), both located at Bennington College
- Public Transportation: Good (accessible by Green Mountain Express bus lines Brown and Green at the Bennington College stop)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: 10-15 events per season
- Ticket Prices: All concerts and seminars are free and open to the public.