The name refers to the “clear-singing” rooster in Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, and if you’ve ever heard the strikingly crisp vocals of the 12-member Chanticleer, you’ll appreciate the choice. Since its founding in 1979 by the late Louis Botto there is no period or style of music that Chanticleer hasn’t sung, and the dulcet-toned ensemble is also dedicated to supporting new music by commissioning original works from composers such as Mark Adamo and Jake Heggie.
A world-renowned all-male chorus with over two dozen CD releases under its belt, Chanticleer has a demanding concert schedule that keeps them on the road regularly. However, the group is San Francisco-based, and programs a four-concert season each year that has it performing in several Bay Area venues.
- Public Transportation: Varies by venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Most venues should be accessible; call venue management for details
- Performances/Programs: In addition to its worldwide touring schedule, Chanticleer does a Bay Area Season each year made up of four programs with multiple performances of each
- Ticket Prices: $25–$40
- Subscriptions: Two–four concert series available from $84–$160, or $76–$147 for students and seniors
- Membership: Available from $50 to $25,000+. Depending on donation amount, donor benefits include limited edition Chanticleer memorabilia, invites to special events, and complimentary tickets.