South Carolina’s largest professional theatre company, Charleston Stage has delighted audiences for over thirty years, and is celebrating a recent $19 million dollar renovation of its historic home at the Dock Street Theatre (one of the oldest theatrical buildings in the country). The charming downtown landmark has found recent success with a steady offering of area premieres, classic plays, and musicals.
Appealing to both locals and the city’s booming tourist industry, the company’s five-show mainstage season mixes popular titles like Hairspray, Blithe Spirit and Peter Pan, along with more adventurous works like I Am My Own Wife and The 39 Steps. The troupe’s Piggly Wiggly Family Series boasts children’s favorites like Tom Sawyer and The Jungle Book, while an extensive education program offers musical theatre based training and internships for ages 8-18.
Charleston Stage Information
- Public Transportation: Good (a 4-minute walk from CARTA buses 20, 30, 201, and 211 at Meeting Street/Broad Street; a 5-minute walk from bus 21 at Meeting Street/Market Street; and a 14-minute walk from buses 1, 2, 20, 30, 210, 211, and 212 at Meeting Street/Calhoun Street)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: 9 shows per season with multiple performances of each
- Ticket Prices: $22–$52 depending on date and seat selection. Discounts are available for students and seniors. Coupon code discounts are sometimes available
- Group Discounts: 25% discount for groups of 15 or more
- Subscriptions: 5 Play MainStage Subscription ($82–$145); 3 Play Piggly Wiggly Family Series Subscription ($56–$73); Build Your Own 3 Play Subscription ($56–$87). Prices vary by date and seat selection. Subscriber benefits include reserved seating; free ticket exchange; and a special discount card to neighboring restaurants and businesses
- Memberships: Director’s Circle ($600–$2,250). Benefits include exclusive invitations to Opening Night Performances and post show receptions; acknowledgment in show programs; and free guest passes to share with family and friends. Business Memberships ($500–$5,000). Benefits include complimentary tickets for clients and employees; program advertising opportunities; and company recognition in Charleston Stage publications.