A cultural mainstay in South Carolina since 1936, the Charleston Symphony Orchestra currently employs a distinctive, three-pronged approach to its concert programming. The CSO supplements its Masterworks series of primarily Romantic period composers like Brahms, Liszt, Tchaikovsky, and Puccini with its five-program Pops series and the new Dock Street Theatre series. The latter is a thought-provoking mix of orchestral music and multimedia programming that explores the connection between music and other cultural and artistic disciplines, such as art, architecture, African American culture, and conservation. The orchestra fosters further community engagement through its in in-school programs, Young People’s Concerts, and its support of the Youth Orchestra of the Lowcountry.
Charleston Symphony Orchestra Information
- Venues: Gaillard Municipal Auditorium (77 Calhoun Street); Dock Street Theatre (135 Church Street)
- Public Transportation: Good for both. Gaillard Municipal Auditorium (a short walk from CARTA bus 201 at Calhoun Street/Alexander Street; and a 4-minute walk from buses 1, 2, 20, 30, 210, 211, and 212 at Meeting Street/Calhoun Street). Dock Street Theatre (a 4-minute walk from buses 20, 30, 201, and 211 at Meeting Street/Broad Street; a 5-minute walk from bus 21 at Meeting Street/Market Street; and a 14-minute walk from buses 1, 2, 20, 30, 210, 211, and 212 at Meeting Street/Calhoun Street)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for both venues
- Performances/Programs: 5 Masterworks concerts, 4 POPS concerts, and 3 Chamber Orchestra concerts per season
- Ticket Prices: Range from $20–$72 depending on event and seat selection. Students receive discounted ticket for $10
- Subscriptions: Masterworks subscription ($50–$260), POPS subscription ($30–$95), Chamber Orchestra subscription ($30–$52) with prices varying by seat selection. Subscriber benefits include best seat guarantee and free ticket exchange
- Memberships: Donor (up to $99); Member ($100–$249); Contributor ($250–$499); Partner ($500–$1,499); Conductor’s Club ($1,500–$2,999); Conductor’s Circle ($3,000–$4,999); Musicians’ Circle ($5,000–$9,999); Sustainer’s Club ($10,000–$24,999); Leadership Circle ($25,000+). Depending on level, member benefits include complimentary admission for two to a Donor Thank You Event; access to exclusive behind-the-scenes Open Rehearsals; recognition listing in Bravo! Magazine, CSO’s annual program book; invitation to attend receptions following concerts; opportunity to sponsor a Musicians’ Chair; invitations to exclusive events plus meet and greets with CSO guest artists and members of the Orchestra; private back stage tours with the Conductor or member of the Orchestra; complimentary private performances; and more.