The Chicago Opera Theater is one of the country’s freshest and most original operas, giving emerging talent the ability to perform and produce high-quality opera in and around Chicago. Established in 1974, COT is young compared to most opera companies, and it is young in spirit as well, endeavoring to reinvent the genre’s stodgy image. It does this by producing new works and giving a contemporary spin to the classics. COT proudly boasts that every one of its productions (no matter how old the opera itself may be) is brand new—new costumes, sets, lighting, musical interpretation, and staging.
Chicago Opera Theater Information
- Public Transportation: Very good (easily accessible by Randolph St. METRA service)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Three productions per season, with multiple performances of each, plus special concerts and events
- Ticket Prices: $30–$120 for individual tickets
- Subscriptions: Available from $90 to $345, depending on seats selected. Students can get a subscription at a 50% discount
- Membership: Available from $50 to $2,500+. Mid- to high-level donors get perks like invites to dress rehearsals and cast parties.