Circuit Playhouse might be viewed as Memphis’s “Off-Broadway” house. Founded several years before its partner theater, Playhouse on the Square, located just down the block on South Cooper Street, Circuit presents well regarded productions of lesser known, more innovative works than those that tend to be seen at Playhouse or Theatre Memphis (a popular local community theater).
Circuit opened near the University of Memphis in November 1969, when the company rented a former private home that had been converted to a ballet academy. Over the years, Circuit expanded and relocated several times, and in 1975 it gave birth to Playhouse on the Square. The two companies have continued to pursue their own directions: Circuit focuses on staging Off-Broadway and experimental works, and is also known for having initiated the MidSouth Playwright’s Contest.
Circuit Playhouse Information
- Public Transportation: Fair (accessible by #2 & #34 buses)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 8 productions per season.
- Ticket Prices: Varies ($15-38) depending on performance and date, with discounts for seniors, students, military, and children.
- Group Rates: For groups of 20 or more people, a discount of $10 per regularly priced adult ticket is available. Group rates do not apply to tickets discounted for seniors, students, military or children.
- Subscriptions: Variety of season subscriptions plans available, from Regular Single ($150, 8 admissions) to Benefactor ($650, 32 admissions).