City Theatre is the place to go for contemporary plays by writers new, established, and just plain hip. Everything from the edgy and odd (Night of the Living Dead: The Opera) to the traditional and heartwarming (Tuesdays with Morrie) has been seen on City’s two stages. Christopher Durang, Jeffrey Hatcher, and Adam Rapp have all had premieres here, and City Theatre is developing more new work through its MOMENTUM festival, which features play readings along with writers’ panels and workshops. Budding writers are nurtured through the comprehensive Young Playwrights program, which includes teacher training, in-school workshops, a contest, and a festival. City Theatre also gets kids involved in writing through its Playmakers program, which recently has been teaching students to create their own radio plays.
City Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $35–$40, students $15 and $20, senior discounts available
- Subscriptions: Six-Play $96–$252, Flex passes: Eight-Pack $248, Six-Pack $198.