CityDance Ensemble was founded in 1996 to further expand the horizons of contemporary dance in the Washington, DC area. The company offers classes and training programs in dance, and regular free performances – a myriad of inspirational opportunities for dancers and audiences.
Founded by Paul Gordon Emerson, who recently left the company after ten years’ tenure for other artistic endeavors, CDE is now under the direction of Alexe Nowakowski. Under Nowakowski, the CDE has continued its pursuit of artistic excellence; the results so far are obvious to see in the impeccable technique displayed by its dancers. Named “Washington’s Preeminent Modern Dance Company” by the Washington Times and one of the “Top 25 to Watch” by Dance magazine, CDE has won many awards for their contemporary dance performances.
CityDance boasts a new resident company, led by choreographer Christopher K. Morgan, which features regular guest appearances by CityDance Conservatory students. By presenting original works at the CityDance Studio Theater at Strathmore, CDE’s vision is to help expand the cultural environment in Washington, DC through its liaison with artist-in-residence Morgan and the continuing dedication to presenting professional productions.
- Other Venues: Harman Center for the Arts, Lansburgh Theatre, 450 7th Street NW; Kennedy Center, Terrace Theater, 2700 F Street NW
- Public Transportation: Good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Five different programs, two or three performances each
- Ticket Prices: Range between $15 and $55
- Membership: Annual contribution fees start at $250 and include discounts at Strathmore’s Music Center and the Shops at Strathmore, access to a members-only concessions line at the Lansburgh Theatre, invitations for two to open rehearsals, name listing on recognition panels, and invitations to special events.