When you think CityMusic Cleveland, you think about community outreach. A chamber orchestra barely six years in existence, CityMusic performs free concerts throughout Northeast Ohio armed with resolve to “[eliminate] the twin barriers of high ticket prices and unfamiliar venues.”
That well-meaning goal is all the more compelling considering the truly symbiotic relationship between the volunteer-fueled arts organization and its community audience. Free child care is offered to music lovers at the roughly 25 classical concerts performed each season; many CityMusic musicians benefit from local host families who provide lodging, transportation and food throughout the interim. In addition, many of the orchestra’s members teach general music classes to local schoolchildren as part of a 30-week curriculum.
CityMusic Cleveland survives mainly through individual/corporate donations and substantive grants from local foundations, and benefits from oversight by its Community Outreach Advisory Committee. The Chamber Orchestra draws from both the classical canon and new contemporary-classical commissions, which can be sampled through its live recordings made available on iTunes.
CityMusic Cleveland Information
- Public Transportation: Depends on venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue, but generally good
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 20–25 per season
- Ticket Prices: Each performance is priced individually. Many concerts are free and most offer free childcare with reservation
- Sponsorship: Basic sponsorship starts at $25.