Opened to the public on November 18, 2011, the Still Museum is dedicated to the work of Abstract Expressionist Clyfford Still, who ordered his estate sealed upon his death in 1980, with the stipulation that it be donated to an American city that would pledge to establish a permanent museum for Still’s body of work. Denver wound up the winner of the sweepstakes in 2004, and the burly, concrete Still Museum is the result. In keeping with Still’s wishes, the museum will have no cafe or auditorium, nor will it loan any of its collection.
Clyfford Still Museum Information
- Public Transportation: Very Good (steps from RTD bus 52 at Bannock Street/West 13th Avenue; and a 4-minute walk from buses 0, 0L, 2X, 3L, 5X, 6, 16, 79L, 83L, 87X, 93X, 100X, 116X, VC, and EV at Broadway/West 13th Avenue)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Tuesday–Sunday 10 a.m.–5 p.m. (open Fridays until 8 p.m.). Closed Mondays, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day
- Admission: Adults $10; Students and Seniors (65+) $6; Youth (ages 6-17) $3; Children (5 and under) and Members Free. If you purchase your tickets online, you save $1 on each adult admission
- Tour: Regularly scheduled public tours of the Museum are available on Wednesdays at 1 p.m. and Saturdays at 11 a.m., and are free with the cost of admission. Tours depart from the Anschutz Family Foundation Atrium promptly at the above times. Private tours conducted by a Museum lecturer are only available by appointment. Tour groups must have at least 10 people, with a maximum of 30 per group. Private tours require three weeks advanced notice to schedule and are subject to availability
- Membership: Individual membership is $45 (Senior/Student/Teacher $35; Dual $65; Family $75). Other member levels include the 1944 Society ($250); Curator’s Circle ($750); and Director’s Circle ($5,000). Member benefits are tiered with every member receiving free general admission; members-only openings and events; discounted admission to programs and events; a 10% discount in the museum shop; members-only preview before museum opens; and regular e-communication about events, programs, lectures
- Other Benefits: At the 1944 Society Level ($250) members receive invitations to private social gatherings and events related to the art, life and times of Still. At the Curator’s Circle Level ($750) members receive 4 guest admission tickets; private tour with the Director/Curator; and the inaugural publication on the art and life of Still. At the Director’s Circle Level ($5,000) members receive 6 guest admission tickets and are eligible for Director/Curator-led travel events.