The Columbus Association for the Performing Arts (CAPA) is the city’s largest and most expansive performing arts organization. Eight of Columbus’ major theaters are owned or managed by the association, as well as two venues outside of Columbus
Despite CAPA’s current size and scope, the organization comes from much humbler origins. It was formed in 1969 as the community of Columbus fought to save the historic Ohio Theater (built 1928) from demolition; CAPA acquired ownership of the theater and assumed managerial responsibility. As the newly renovated theater thrived under CAPA’s ownership, the organization grew in size and reputation. Both the Palace Theater (built 1926) and Southern Theater (built 1896) were acquired and renovated, and in 1994 CAPA was selected by the State to manage the four theaters in the Vern Riffe Center for Government and the Arts. More recently the organization was tapped to manage the Shubert Theater in New Haven, Connecticut (in the process establishing the Connecticut Association for the Performing Arts); the Valentine Theater in Toledo, Ohio; and the Lincoln Theater in Columbus.
In addition to its management duties, CAPA produces a number of the city’s major performing arts organizations and events. Resident arts groups include the Columbus Symphony Orchestra, Evolution Theater Company, Jazz Arts Group, Opera Columbus, Festival Latino, Columbus Children’s Theater, and Chamber Music Columbus. The organization’s website contains a comprehensive listing of all events produced at all of the venues under CAPA’s umbrella.
Columbus Association for the Performing Arts (CAPA) Information
- Public Transportation: Varies depending on venue.
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good at all venues.
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 500 events produced annually at CAPA-operated venues.
- Admission: Varies widely depending on performance, date and seating choice.
- Subscription/Memberships: Donors to CAPA’s Annual Fund (beginning at $30) receive benefits including advance ticket privileges, discounts to select events, and preferred seating.