(July 4 –July 29, 2012) Proudly proclaiming themselves as ‘the summer home for the American playwright,’ CATF eschews the tradition of outdoor Shakespeare for a bold lineup of daring and fearlessly produced new works. For twenty years, the Festival’s five show repertory season has included an impressive list of area and world premiere stagings by a diverse group of contemporary writers, from Sam Shepard to Lee Blessing and Joyce Carol Oates. Housed on the campus of Shepherd University in the eclectic village of Shepherdstown, West Virginia, theatregoers attending the festival can choose from a vast array of artsy restaurants and shops to perfectly complement the cutting edge experience of the company’s risk-taking performances and lecture series.
Contemporary American Theater Festival Information
- Public Transportation: Poor
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Five plays are presented in rotating rep each season, July–August. Performance schedule is Wednesday through Sunday
- Admission: $30–$36. Discounts are available for students and seniors. Each show has a pay-what-you-can performance during previews
- Subscription/Memberships: A CATCard four-show subscription costs $100–$120. A CATCard Plus subscription featuring tickets to all five shows costs $125–$145. Special student and senior rates for CATCards are available.