Created by Artistic and Executive Director Jefferson James in 1972 , the mission of CDT is to broaden dance awareness in order to expand the sights of local audiences.
As one of the foremost alternative presenters in Cincinnati, CDT creates a wide mix of varying artistic viewpoints in dance, delivered by companies and artists who display the immense spirit of the artform and its ability to depict social content and meaning.
“Moving bodies, moving souls…” is a phrase CDT uses to define the company’s passion for integrating the arts into the community. Their Performance and Time Arts series is a powerful showcase that nurtures up-coming dance and other performing artists, while also featuring seasoned artists who wish to present new work. CDT’s summer dance festival brings many guest artists to the community, with such luminary companies as Pilobolus, Koresh Dance Company, and Luna Negra. Both festivals provide audiences with an opportunity to experience the best in dance locally as well as through some of the most stellar touring companies that grace the stage today.
CDT’s commitment to community outreach allows local dance companies to bring arts awareness to those who otherwise would not be aware of the art form’s impact. The prison outreach series is one such example of introducing movement into a facility where it can awaken and inspire. Through CDT, the Cincinnati community has been given a greater awareness of dance’s diversity through its myriad ways of expression.
- Michele Kadison
Contemporary Dance Theater Information
- Other Venue: Classes, workshops, and non-guest artist series presented at College Hill Town Hall, 1805 Larch Avenue
- Public Transportation: Good for Jarson-Kaplan Theater (within a 5-minute walk from several Metro buses). Fair for College Hill Town Hall (a 5-minute walk from Metro bus 17 at Hamilton Avenue/Larch Avenue)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Guest Artist Series – 5 per season with multiple performances of each. Special performances and several classes also offered in addition to main series
- Ticket Prices: Main series: Adults $25–$40; Seniors $25–$35; Students $20–$30 with prices varying by event and seat selection. Classes and special events vary widely
- Subscriptions: Full Season Subscription $110–$135 (Seniors $110; Students $85); Pick Three $66–$91; Four Voucher Flex Pass $90–$110 depending on seat selection.