The Crow is one of the most comprehensive collections of Asian art in the country. Its collection of more than 4,000 works spans from 3500 BC to the early 20th century. It was founded by Trammel and Margaret Crow, who have been collecting Asian art since the mid-1960s. They opened the collection to the public in its current location in 1998. Along with showing their pieces in the museum, they also loan them to be displayed in office buildings and hotels. Those include Chinese jades, Buddhist sculptures, and Japanese screen paintings.
Its exhibitions take into account the full range of Asian art. It has previously shown exhibitions on the painter Yang Jin Long, fashion design by Yeohlee Teng, Chinese tomb art from the monolithic to Ming Dynasty periods, and a survey of art by Japanese contemporary artist Roger Shimomura.
The collection’s newest initiative is filmAsia, a program that includes special film screenings, lectures and chances to meet filmmakers. It also includes a four-day film festival called filmAsiafest, with the goal of promoting and supporting Asian filmmakers.
Crow Collection of Asian Art Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (steps from several bus lines and the 825 Cable Car)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Tuesday–Thursday 10 a.m.–9 p.m., Friday–Sunday 10 a.m.–6 p.m. Closed Mondays and most major holidays
- Admission: Free
- Tour: Free guided tours of the permanent collection are offered every Thursday at 6:30 pm, and Saturday at 1:00 p.m. Free guided tours of the Trammell Crow European Sculpture Garden are offered every Sunday at 1:00 p.m. All tours begin in the lobby of the museum
- Membership: Individual membership is $50. All members receive announcements of exhibitions, education programs and special events; invitation to members’ previews; discount on selected educational programs and special events; 10% discount in the Lotus Shop; opportunity to join volunteer and art focus groups, complimentary parking in Trammell Crow Center (two hour limit); 15% discount off of all TITAS regular season events; and 10% discount at Aija restaurant
- Other Benefits: Bronze Circle Members ($2,500) are given a one-time use of the facility.