The Cutting Ball Theater specializes in new, experimental plays and “re-visioned classics.” Founded in 1999 by theater artists Rob Melrose and Paige Rogers, the company presents a four-play season in residence at EXIT on Taylor, in addition to producing Avant GardARAMA!, which has featured short, experimental works by writers such as Richard Foreman, Mac Wellman, Suzan-Lori Parks, Eugenie Chan, Heiner Müller, and Gertrude Stein; Hidden Classics, a play-reading series focusing on rarely produced works; and Risk is This . . . The Cutting Ball New Experimental Plays Festival. Cutting Ball is also known for its radical re-imaginings of plays by Shakespeare and for having created new translations of such classics as Büchner’s Woyzeck, Sartre’s No Exit, and Jarry’s Ubu Roi.
Cutting Ball Theater Information
- Other Venues: EXIT Theatre, EXIT Stage Left, and EXIT Café, 156 Eddy St.; Magic Theatre, Fort Mason, Building D
- Public Transportation: Good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Cutting Ball does a lot of readings, workshops, and festivals, with only a few full productions. Performance times and dates vary
- Ticket Prices: Tickets range from free to $50, discounts available for students, seniors, and groups, $15 tickets on Under 30 Thursday, shows sometimes available on Goldstar.com.