Founded in 2002, Cygnet has in a short time made a big splash on the San Diego arts scene. In less than ten years, this fearless troupe has amassed over 60 area awards and been awarded a ten year lease by the California Department of Parks and Recreation for residency of the renowned Old Town Theatre in the San Diego State Historic Park. The company’s rather audacious yearly line up pits old verses new in an unusual mix of classic and cutting edge (its not every theatre that follows up Thornton Wilder’s The Matchmaker with Tracey Lett’s graphic thriller Bug). But the formula seems to work, as San Diego audiences are clearly lining up for more.
Cygnet Theatre Company Information
- Public Transportation: Very Good (a 5-minute walk from buses 8, 9, 10, 28, 30, 35, 44, 88, 105, and 150, the Blue and Green Lines, COASTER, and Amtrak at the Old Town Transit Center)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Wednesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $22–$48, $4 discounts available for seniors, students, and military, shows occasionally available on Goldstar.com
- Subscriptions: Six-Play $84–$150, Five-Play $75–$135, Four-Play $68–$120, and Flex $126–$150, subscription discounts available for seniors and military.