Led by Artistic Director and pianist Sarah Rothenberg, Da Camera of Houston has made it a priority to present chamber music in collaboration with endeavors in the visual arts and literature. Examples of these cross-disciplinary concerts include “Music for Rothko,” “Marcel Proust’s Paris,” and “Sarah Rothenberg’s The Blue Rider: Kandinsky and Music”. Encompassing both classical music and jazz, the organization has also hosted concerts given by such renowned musicians as Jordi Savall, The Juilliard String Quartet, Jeremy Denk, Wayne Shorter, and many others.
In addition to its regular concert offerings, the organization presents touring productions such as “Epigraph for a Condemned Book,” as well as two free concert series—A Little Day Music, at the Wortham Center, and Stop, Look and Listen! for families at The Menil Collection.
Da Camera of Houston Information
- Venues: The Wortham Theater Center (501 Texas Street); The Menil Collection (1515 Sul Ross Street); and various other venues in Houston
- Public Transportation: Good for Wortham Theater Center (within a 5-minute walk from several buses, and a 7-minute walk from the Red Line Light Rail at the Preston Station) and the Menil Collection (a 2-minute walk from bus 78 at Alabama Street/Mandell Street; a 5-minute walk from bus 25 at Richmond Avenue/Mandell Street; and a 7-minute walk from buses 81 and 82 at Westheimer Road/Mandell Street). Other venues vary
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for all locations
- Performances/Programs: 16-17 performances, 15-16 programs per season
- Ticket Prices: Jazz concerts $30–$50; Classical concerts $25–$45; Menil Collection and Rothko Capel $35 with prices varying by seat selection. Tickets for students and seniors (60+) are available at a 50% discount
- Group Discounts: 20% discount or more available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Full Season ($255–$465); Da Camera Chamber Music ($165–$290); Da Camera Jazz ($160–$250); Da Camera at The Menil ($155); Build Your Own Series – any 6 concerts ($160–$250). Prices vary by seat selection
- Membership: Member $100; Performer $250; Improviser $500; Ensemble Member $1,500; Virtuoso $5,000; and Benefactor $10,000. Benefits are tiered with all members receiving a membership card providing a 10% discount on all Da Camera merchandise, including CD’s; and recognition in all season programs
- Other Benefits: At the Virtuoso Level ($5,000) member also receive invitations to all post-concert events with the artists; invitations to intimate events in private homes with Da Camera artists; priority notice of Da Camera special events including the Gala and Silent Auction, Opening Night Gala and other events
- Age Guidelines: Da Camera of Houston recommends its concerts for children 10 years old and up. Children under the age of 5 are not permitted to attend.