Improv is king at Dad’s Garage Theatre, which was founded in 1995. In addition to scripted pieces with such titles as Song of the Living Dead, Large Animal Games, Griefers, Clash Titan Clash, and The Change: Another Teenage Werewolf Musical, the theatre presents improv shows 52 weeks per year – every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday except Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Among the audience favorites are the improvised soap opera Scandal!, TheatreSports (Dad’s Garage boasts the only officially sanctioned team in the Southeast), and the Japanese-style game show Samurai Davis Jr. and Dim Sum’s Super Mega Happy Fun Time Improv Show!
Having grown from a small, volunteer-run organization to a vital mid-size theatre with a professional artistic and administrative staff, Dad’s Garage entertains more than 30,000 people a year at its two-theatre facility in Inman Park, at public events across the state, and at improv festivals throughout the U.S. In addition to its more than 300 performances per year, the theatre offers improve training through its High School Outreach Program, as well as on-site classes and workshops for the general public. For all its endeavors, Dad’s Garage has been voted Best Theatre Company and Improv Group by the newspaper Creative Loafing for five years in a row.
Dad’s Garage Theatre Information
- Venues: Dad’s Garage has two stages, the Mainstage (140 seats) and the Top Shelf (50 seats). The following companies frequently perform in the Top Shelf: Jack in the Black Box, Out of Hand Theatre, Process Theatre Company, TwinHead Productions, and VisionQuest
- Public Transportation: Good (easily accessible by MARTA)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Thursday–Saturday at 8 and 10:30 p.m.
- Ticket Prices: Ticket prices range from $10 to $28. Thursday shows are quite a bit cheaper than Saturday shows and tickets are cheaper if you get them in advance rather than at the door. Tickets also cost less at the beginning of a show’s run than closing weekend. Student tickets are available for Thursday shows at $10 each for 8 p.m. shows; $7.50 for 10:30 p.m. shows
- Group Discounts: Discounts are available for groups of 10 or more if you pay in advance via phone
- Subscriptions: Subscription options include the Beer Me Pass ($40, any five improv shows and a beer at each show) and the Gimme Everything package ($125, admission to any 10 plays and/or improv shows).