The most notable attribute of the Dallas Museum of Art is its extensive top-notch permanent collection. With heavy-hitters such as Picasso, van Gogh, Monet, O’Keeffe, Pollock, Gauguin, Mondrian, Picasso, and Cézanne, the DMA is a sure thing. A lesser-known but exciting feature is that on the third Friday of every month, the museum is open until midnight and the price for staying late is included in the general admission for that day; so if you fall for its impressive holdings, you can really get your money’s worth.
A word to the wise: The DMA is certainly a worthy museum to visit, but you’ll be smart to research the special exhibition before dropping your dollar on anything but the varied and valuable permanent collection.
Dallas Museum of Art (The DMA) Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (easily accessible by Light Rail, M-Line Street Car, bus and DART)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good (hearing aids and wheelchairs are also available on a first-come first-served basis)
- Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday 11 a.m.–5 p.m., Thursday 11 a.m.–9 p.m., closed Monday
- Admission: $10, seniors (65+) $7, students $5, DMA members and children (under 12) are free. Discounts are available for groups of 10 or more
- Free Day: Thursday evenings 5–9 p.m. and the first Tuesday of each month (special ticket prices may apply to exhibitions)
- Tours: Guided tours are available for $30 for a group of 15; school tours are also available. To schedule a group tour, call 214-922-1331. Audio tours are free
- Membership: Base membership is $75 annually and covers one person and a guest or two adults and their children. Benefits includes unlimited free admission to the museum and most special exhibitions, free parking during museum hours, invitations to member previews and special events, plus multiple discounts on museum merchandise and admittance to the museum film series
- Other Benefits: Reciprocal membership to more than 100 other museums available with the following memberships; Sustainer ($125), Friend ($250), Advocate ($500), and Contributor ($1,000).