Although a small company, especially by New York City standards, Dicapo Opera Theater puts on solid productions with wonderful emerging artists. Dicapo offers the rare opportunity to see classic operas, as well as some seldom-produced and contemporary works, in an intimatte setting (its space at the St. John Baptise Church on the upper east side has only 204 seats). Dicapo also showcases a number of special concerts and events, including recitals and one-hour versions of operas adapted for kids.
Dicapo Opera Theater Information
- Public Transportation: Good (convenient to subway line 6 at 77th Street and buses M15, M72, M79, M98, and M101–M103)
- Performances/Programs: Five–six per season with multiple performances of each plus special programs such as “Jazz at Dicapo” and “Opera for Kids” performances
- Ticket Prices: $50 for opera; $20–$40 for special events; $10 (kids) to $20 (adults) for “Opera for Kids” performances
- Subscriptions: Five-Show subscription $225, seniors $200
- Membership: Donations are accepted, contact for further details.