Devoted to exploring the African-American experience through the arts, the Ensemble is one of the largest black theatres in the Southwest. Staging six prominent plays each year, past productions on the company’s mainstage have included challenging works such as Mark Clayton Souther’s Ashes to Africa and August Wilson’s Gem of the Ocean, as well as audience favorites like The Wiz and Ain’t Misbehavin’.
The company’s Touring Education Program Initiative offers schools a diverse lineup rooted in African American folklore and culturally relevant themes, while its Young Performers Program offers hands on training in the arts to Houston students ages 7 to 17. Recently celebrating thirty years as a renowned Houston institution, the Ensemble Theatre’s programs reach over 65,000 patrons annually.
Ensemble Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Very good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Wednesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $12–$30, discounts available for students and seniors at most performances, discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Triple Play, three flex tix for $75; senior/student package, one ticket for all six mainstage shows, $90; Silver subscription, one ticket for all six shows $150; Gold subscription, one ticket to opening night of each mainstage show $225; Platinum subscription, tickets to each opening night and VIP reception, plus tickets to annual black tie gala and all other benefits, $1,000.